This recipe comes from the Athens Fillo (Phyllo) Dough box
- 5 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 40 sheets of Athens Fillo Dough, thawed
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 lemon peel * I did not add this
Bring all of these ingredients to a boil. Simmer for ten minutes. Strain and cool slightly.
- Combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside. Brush 9 X 13 baking pan with butter. Layer 8 sheets of fillo, brushing each with melted butter. Repeat 4 more times. Place first set of fillo in bottom of baking pan and sprinkle with 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Place next 8 layers of fillo on top and sprinkle with 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Repeat one more time.
- Top with remaining 16 sheets of fillo. With a sharp knife, score fillo into 1 1/2" diamonds or squares. Brush with remaining butter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool slightly and pour warm syrup evenly over baklava. Cool completely, cut and serve.