Baklava is one of my all time favorite desserts. I have made it a few times over the years so I know the amount of work that goes into it! I found this recipe here. This is a decent recipe but found it had more of a honey taste. As much as I love honey, it was just not the kind of baklava that I enjoy.
- 1 package of Phyllo Dough (Place in the fridge 24 hours in advance)
- 4 cups of chopped walnuts Or pecans ( I used two cups of each)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1-1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups of honey
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla xxtract
- Remove the phyllo dough from the fridge 1 hour before using.
- Keep the phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth when you are not using it.
- Toss the chopped nuts with the cinnamon and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly butter a rectangular baking pan. Make sure the sheets of phyllo will fit the pan.
- Butter the top sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Then grab it and the unbuttered sheet below it.
- Set the two sheets in the pan, buttered sheet face down. Press lightly into the pan. Repeat this twice more, so that you have 6 sheets of phyllo in the pan, three of the sheets buttered.
- Sprinkle on enough nuts to make a single layer. Butter two sheets of phyllo and place them on top of the walnuts. Add more walnuts, then two more buttered phyllo sheets. Repeat this a few more times, or until you are out of nuts.
- Top with 4 more buttered phyllo sheets, ending with a buttered top. Cut a diagonal diamond pattern in the baklava using a very sharp knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the baklava is very golden brown.
- While the baklava is baking, combine one stick of the butter, honey, water, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- When the baklava finishes cooking, drizzle half of the honey mixture evenly all over the top. Allow it to sit and absorb for a minute. Then drizzle on a little more until you think it's thoroughly moistened.
- Finally let the baklava cool, uncovered, for several hours. Then enjoy!