I had some bananas that needed to be eaten. I thought about all the desserts that I could make using bananas and then thought of one of my most favorite desserts - Bananas Foster! I never knew how easy of a dessert it was to make. This was so delicious. It reminded me of one of my favorite desserts - bread pudding from 'Ohana at the Polynesian at Walt Disney World. I decided not to add the rum even though I had it on hand. I tend to be very accident prone in the kitchen. If I burned myself my husband would have been very upset. I found the recipe here. I decided to cut the recipe in half, as I had some very large bananas. That didn't seem to work very well. So I adjusted the amount of butter and came up with this.
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Melt the butter over medium high heat. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add the brown sugar to the butter. Stir constantly. Cook for 3-5 minutes. When the consistency resembles maple syrup turn the burner to low.
- Next put the bananas into the butter/sugar mixture. Allow the bananas to soften. Make sure that the bananas are completely coated by the mixture.
- Finally add the vanilla extract. Stir into the mixture.
- Place over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!