1/2 cup of butter softened
1/2 cup of shortening
1 cup of confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp of almond extract
1 tsp of vanilla
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of salt
Red food coloring
1/2 cup of crushed dinner mints
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the butter, shortening, confectioners' sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla.
- Blend in the flour and the salt.
- Divide the dough in half. Blend the red food coloring into one half of the dough.
- Shape one teaspoon of dough from each half into a 4 inch rope.
- For smooth even robes, roll them back and forth on a lightly floured surface.
- Place ropes side by side and press together lightly and twist.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. Curve top of each cookie down to form the handle of the cane.
- Bake about 9 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Mix dinner mints and the granulated sugar. Immediately sprinkle cookies with candy mixture. Remove from baking sheet.