I found this recipe on Pinterest. The recipe can be found here. These would work for any holiday by changing out the color of the M&M candies. While I enjoyed these cookies they did not remind me of the kind you can buy out at a store.
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar + 1/3 cup for rolling
- 2 ounces of cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- 1/3 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1-1 1/4 cups M&M Candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl. Put the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a pie plate or large bowl and set aside.
- Pour the warm butter over the cream cheese mixture and whisk to combine - the mixture won't be completely smooth yet.
- Whisk in the oil then the egg, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to start folding the dry ingredients into the wet. When the dry ingredients are partially incorporated, add 3/4 cup of the M&M's to the dough. Continue mixing until a soft dough comes together.
- Use a cookie scoop and place the dough onto the cookie sheets.
- Working quickly, roll the dough into a ball with your hands and then roll the dough in the sugar. Set the dough aside in the pie plate with sugar.
- Repeat until you've used all of the dough. Place the dough onto the cookie sheets. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten the dough balls into discs that are about 2 inches.
- Gently press 2 or 3 more M&M's into the top of each cookie. (You can wait to press the M&M candies in after the cookies are done baking. If you do it before the M&M candies can crack. I placed the candies in before baking)