This recipe can be found here. It is also located on page 33 of the Taste of Home August/September 2011 issue.
Since I am due in 5 weeks with my second child I decided that this would be a good time to try out some new recipes. My husband absolutely loved this sauce! He told me that I have to make it for his Dad the next time he visits. So it was a hit in our house. My husband even went back for seconds. This was pretty easy to make. Granted I had a 3 1/2 year old helping me so it took a little longer than if I had made it myself. I liked this, though I would love it with ground beef instead of sausage.
- 1 pound of bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (I didn't put any in)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 can of (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used Del Monte - Basil, Garlic, &Oregano)
- 1 can of (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste (I couldn't find Italian tomato paste so I just used regular tomato paste)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley (I used 1 tablespoon of dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of coarsely ground pepper
- Hot cooked pasta of your choice
Cook the sausage in a large saucepan with the onion and garlic in oil over medium heat.
Cook it until the meat is no longer pink and then drain.
Next stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings.
Then bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Serve with pasta.