This recipe is in the Taste of Home Holiday Christmas Cookies & Candies on page 55. It can also be found here. Two of my friends made this during our Christmas baking day. Michael & Autumn are the creators of this wonderful cookie.
- 1/2 cup of butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Sprinkles for decoration
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in the egg.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks.