Being the new year I decided to try and find recipes that were healthier. I found this recipe on page 45 of the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking April/May 2010 issue. It can also be found here. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the biggest fan of wheat bread, pasta etc. I love my white bread! So I was a bit hesitant to try these tacos using wheat pita bread. I was surprised to discover how good they were!
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can of (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup of frozen corn
- 2/3 cup of taco sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) of sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado and additional taco sauce, optional (I do not like avocado so I didn't add it it.)
- In a large skillet cook the beef, red pepper, and the onions over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.
- Drain the grease from the meat.
- Next stir in the beans, corn, taco sauce, olives, and seasonings. Heat the mixture through.
- Finally spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pita half. Then sprinkle each taco with cheese. Serve with avocado and additional taco sauce if desired.