This recipe comes from http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33168,00.html
I have modified it slightly.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package of Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 can 15 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- fresh rolls
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides about 15 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan.
- Keep the pan over medium heat and add the peppers, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Next add the oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Cook for two more minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chili flakes. Stir.Bring to a simmer.
- Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each.
- Add the sausages back into the pan and stir. Cook until the sauce has become thicker about 20 minutes.
- Spoon onto rolls and enjoy!