This recipe can be found here. It is also located on page 21 of the August/September 2011 issue of Simple&Delicious.
I enjoyed this meal, though I think I would have LOVED it if I had made it with a roast of some kind. I guess I am not a huge fan or brisket.
1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)1 can (28 ounces) of Italian crushed tomatoes1 large red onion, chopped (I used only a small portion of one)
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce4 garlic cloves, minced1 tablespoon of brown sugar1 teaspoon of celery seed1 teaspoon of pepper1/2 teaspoon of salt1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin1/2 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke (I didn't use any)
4 teaspoons of cornstarch3 tablespoons of cold water
- Cut the brisket in half and place it in a crock pot.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, brown sugar, celery seed, pepper, salt, cumin and the Liquid Smoke.
- Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat and keep it warm.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch and the water until it is smooth.
- Gradually stir in 4 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Slice the brisket across the grain and serve with the gravy.