This version of the traditional kiss cookies were inspired on a recent trip. I was with my husband visiting his family. His aunt had a bunch of chocolate bars and asked what she could do with them. I of course thought of chocolate and peanut butter and suggested the kiss cookie recipe. After she baked them I of course ate quite a few. My mother sent me a huge package of candy for the holidays and a bag of Hershey's Miniatures was in it. I decided to put them to good use..
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 bag (10oz) of Hershey's Miniature Chocolate Bars (I used all regular chocolate but you could use Mr. Goodbar etc)
- Additional granulated sugar to roll balls of dough into
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and peanut butter until well blended.
- Add 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and 1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
- In another bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add peanut butter mixture.
- Shape the dough into one inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While cookies are baking remove wrappers from candy.
- Immediately place chocolate bars on top of each cookie after baking and press down slightly.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.