My son loves rock candy! As a kid I always tried to make it but it never worked. This recipe that I found here works! We tried two methods. One with a string and one with a lollipop stick. The stick was much more successful!
- 2 cups of water
- 4 cups of granulated sugar
- Food coloring
- Lollipop stick
- Wash glass jars or a glass that you drink from with warm water. (We had three small glasses worth of sugar.)
- Cut a piece of thread a few inches longer than the height of the glass or jar. Tape it to a pencil.
- Place the pencil across the top of the jar.
- The thread should hang about an inch from the bottom of the jar.
- Next attach a paper clip to the bottom of the thread to act as a weight. Or you can use a wooden skewer or a lollipop stick.
- Then wet the thread of stick and roll it in granulated sugar. This will give the sugar crystals something to hold onto when they start forming.
- Next place the water in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Then start adding the sugar, one cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Continue to stir and boil the syrup until all of the sugar has been added and is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Now add 2-3 drops of food coloring.
- Let the syrup cool for 10 minutes and then pour it into the jar/glass.
- Lower the sugared string/stick into the jar/glass.
- Place your jar/glass in a cool place away from lights where it will be undisturbed. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap or a paper towel.
- Sugar crystals should start forming in 2-4 hours. If there is no change try boiling the syrup again and dissolve another cup of sugar into it. Pour back into the jar/glass and add the string/stick.
- Allow the rock candy to grow to the size that you want. (We had ours in for a few weeks-our 3 year old had to learn patience!)
- Remove it from the jar/glass and allow it to dry for a few minutes and then enjoy!