I found this recipe here. I knew from reading the ingredients that my husband would love it! I was right! It was a bit spicy for me, but I threw on some shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream and that made it even better for me! This did take some prep work before you could put it in the crock pot. I only used one pound of the chicken thighs. I thought two pounds of chicken would be more than we could eat. I kept the rest of the ingredients the same. I served this with rice and it was perfect!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken in batches.
- Then transfer the chicken to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Next add 1 cup of broth to the pan.
- Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Then stir in the onions and the green pepper; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Next stir in the seasonings; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato and remaining broth and then pour over the chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred the meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.