I found this recipe in the November 29, 2008 issue of Family Circle on page 110 http://www.parents.com/recipe/cookies/sweet-coconut-snowballs/
- 1 cup of sweetened flake coconut
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter - softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind 1/2 cup of the coconut in a food processor.
- Chop the remaining coconut and set it aside.
- Add the flour, 1/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar and the salt.
- Pulse to blend. Add the butter and vanilla - pulse until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place the dough balls 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until firm but tender about 15 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and let the balls cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar and enough milk until it is smooth but still thick.
- Dip the cookies in the glaze (about 1/2 teaspoon for each), letting it drip down sides.
- Dip the cookies in the chopped coconut and set aside for glaze to dry.