Every Christmas our neighbors give us the most delicious cinnamon bread. I think I have finally found a recipe that comes close! This bread is great for breakfast or as a snack! I found it on page 33 of the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking December 2011/January 2012 issue. It can also be found here. Reviews on the website said that the batter is thick and it is. It was hard to spread into the pan, despite that it still came out amazing! In the future I will probably make a little extra of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture so that I can coat the bottom of the pan with it.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt (I used low fat vanilla yogurt - it added great flavor)
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the sugar, the baking soda, a 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, the yogurt, the oil and the vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon.
- Spray a bread pan with cooking spray.
- Next spoon a third of the batter into an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Then top the batter with a third of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Next cut through the batter with a knife to swirl the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.