One of my greatest friends Tammy shared this recipe with me. She is probably the only person I know who loves chili as much as me. This recipe is very hearty. I admit I was a little leary of all of the ingredients, but this turned out to be a fabulous bowl of chili. It was very hearty and filling!
I love my chili with cheese and sour cream on top. I also enjoy eating a roll with it. I love to dip my roll into the chili. This is one of my favorite store bought rolls. http://www.kingshawaiian.com/products/original-hawaiian-sweet.php
Warning - This recipe makes a huge amount of chili. For my small family I will need to cut the recipe in half.
- 1 lb of bacon
- 1 lb of ground beef (usually a bit over)
- 3 cans of chili beans - drained
- 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes (Or just use diced tomatoes with jalapeno and chili peppers)
- 3 cans of tomato soup
- 4 large carrots, chopped, if you don't feel like chopping up carrots Tammy suggests buying a small bag of julienned carrots and use them all
- 1 large onion, I only put a small amount in as my husband doesn't care for onion. Tammy suggests cutting half into small pieces and half into larger pieces
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 packages of chili mix
- 1 can of water
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- Cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
- Sour cream to place on top of the chili
You could easily make this in the crock pot instead of on the stove.
- In large stockpot over low heat put in the bacon and cook. Do not drain. After the bacon was cooked I did chop it up into smaller pieces.
- Next add the beef. Cook until it is brown. Do not drain.
- Then add the pepper,carrots, and the onion. Cook until softened.
- Next add the canned goods (tomatoes, tomato soup, beans)
- Then add the sugar, water and seasonings.
- Cook all day over low heat.
Top with cheddar cheese and enjoy!