I found this recipe here. I enjoyed this. I made it on Friday night and ate it on Saturday. I do wish that it had been a little less dry and a bit more sticky.
- 4 Cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 Cup of butter, melted
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1/2 Cup of water
- 1/4 Cup of honey
- 1 Teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Next grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with some of the melted butter.
- Then unroll the phyllo dough sheets (keep dough covered with plastic wrap).
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in the baking dish and brush with the melted butter.
- Top it with a second sheet and brush it with butter.
- Fold the long ends under to fit the dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup nut mixture.
- Repeat this 18 times, layering two sheets, brushing with butter, and sprinkling with the nut mixture.
- The top with the remaining dough and brush with the butter.
- Cut into 2-in. diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Pour over the warm baklava.