This recipe can be found on the Wilton website, or on most Wilton cake pans. When making this recipe to frost a cake I double it. I use a whole bag of conf. sugar. 32 oz. The recipe is not currently doubled as listed.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and butter with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla.
- Gradually add the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often.
- Next add the milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
You can keep your frosting from getting stiff by placing a damp cloth on top of the bowl.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Mix again before using.